Monday, December 27, 2010

LTE Commercial availability in the world

Source: Light Reading

Below is a table I've copied from Light Reading. I've added another column which is Cost/GB. While I agree this is not the best way to measure, I opted for it due to the relatively easy way to get some feel.


For unlimited plans I used 20GB which is the 70 percentile of typical HSDPA plan. Also the price plan is dependent on the actual throughput and the coverage. So please take the values with a perspective

* Verizon offers @ 8/GB
* TeliaSonera offers @ 2.99/GB in Sweden.

In Singapore we can subscribe to the 14.4 Mbps plan ~ SGD 50.00 or USD 38.53. If I apply the same ratio as above,

* Cost is @ 1.92/GB.

Of course if we compare the GPRS speeds from Malaysia or some other developing world the cost / GB will be much more lower. But what I am trying to compare is the cost / GB between similar technologies. Note that the commercially available networks can go a maximum of 80 Mbps theoretically, but in reality offers less than 10Mbps. In Singapore we can safely get 5 Mbps average throughput on a laptop which is pretty decent in my experience. 

As usual comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment