Wednesday, December 22, 2010

TELCO's asking Content providers (Google, Apple, Facebook) to pay for network investments

There is an article in Business week, where by the Operators are asking big players like Google, Apple, facebook to pay for the network investments. The rationale given by Operators is, service providers are flooding networks with no incentive to cut costs'. Also there is another comment 'Companies such as Google and Yahoo use operator networks for free, which is good news for them and a tragedy for us'.

Though I am with operators most of my career I would never agree with this rationale. The way I see TELCO's are just like a transport company like SingPost and the job SingPost does is to carry the items from "point-A" to "point-B" and they charge "sender-A" to provide this service. Yes, SingPost can charge basic charges for basic services and premium charge for registered or faster delivery. There is no way I'd agree if SingPost wants to charge twice because the content inside my parcel can make my parcel recipient rich

TELCO's are quite similar in my opinion as they charge "subscriber" and deliver the content from Point-A to Point-B. The entire frustration, negative impression of TELCO's is mainly due to the fact that TELCO's wants to meddle with the flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment