Saturday, December 11, 2010

VoIP, Cheap calling using Skype, Fring, Google Out or others

I've been a loyal user of Skype since it went mainstream. Lately I realized there are few other alternatives with similar features/simplicity.

1. Google Voice started offering Google Out or calling phones (not sure what's the standard name) and it works great. For USA the calls are free and for the rest of the world, the charges are similar/cheaper than Skype.
2. Fring. I've used Fring on my E71 couple of years due to the fact that there was no Skype support. But when Skype launched the official app I removed it. But when I was checking my emails I saw a promo from Fring on their Fring out rates. I am pretty surprised that the rates are far more cheaper than Skype/Google. So I gave it a try
3. Jumblo. This is basically from the same guys who offers VoIP Stune, VoIP Buster etc. So initially didn't considered but the rates are pretty comparable to Fring and realized that this is quite popular in South Korea due to the fact that it offers free calls to Korea :)

Below is a comparison of VoIP rates of the five options I've (on top of calling cards but I like to call direct instead of going through the options of selecting language, and waiting) and really surprised that Fring offering such competitive rates. But the sad portion is Fring doesnt have a Desktop client like Skype, Google or others. You need to use it on a mobile phone which is a big drawback.

The prices are in USD (Cents/Min)



















After using the options, finally I decided to go with Google Voice for my direct calls as I can have the flexibility of using a browser to make calls, or use a standalone client rather than depending on Mobile phone. I still have some credt in Fring and it may come handly when I need to make calls to destinations like UK-Mobile where the difference is considerable (18c vs 0.8c per min)


Finally need to claim my blog @ technorati.
VHVTM3BXV3VH

2 comments:

  1. Skype is a quality video and voice calling software. Alternatively, one may even use RHUB`s web conferencing servers for conducting online meetings. It is easy to use and best part is, it has no download of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Work!!! Thank you for posting such a useful, impressive and a wicked article. looking very good!
    More info:- Skype Support

    ReplyDelete